Saturday, December 15, 2007

Like Butterflies

Seven years ago, I met a young man who I believed had shared a "little" of his life with me. A part which was "little" but was "much" in some ways.


Our meeting was actually not planned as other meetings should be but somehow it had its beginning and somewhere had its finality.


During that time that he was desperately looking for someone he could talk to, luckily I may say, he caught up with me and I became his short-lived confidante.


That short- lived moment when we talked was like seven years to me. At first I was taken aback by his straightforwardness but as we went on, I wasn't surprised anymore.



He tried to control himself...but I heard him over the phone crying softly but continuously...I am not used to seeing or hearing a man cry like that. I thought I was dreaming but it was true. I felt his grief...But then I had to say goodbye while still trying to console him. I told him to call me if ever he will need a friend again but he did not do so. I know he won't coz those tears were enough for him and for me...I know he had been healed...


Two days ago, I met another man who had the same problems as the young man I met seven years ago. But this time the man seemed more desperate, more in grief than the young man who cried. I guess it will take time, a much longer time for him to heal his wounds. His suffering was much deeper to be easily forgotten...


As a teacher I've met a lot of young people who are in great pain. We had tried to heal some of their grief but there are still so many of them which we can't find the perfect solutions with...



Seven years ago, it was much easier than two days ago...I guess there are more and more people who become desperate and sick as time goes by...



If we remain indifferent to our young people and their desperate cries......they will be like butterflies, though they may always be around, still they cannot soar and fly high and will suddenly and eventually just disappear from our sight...


....................THE FIRST DUTY OF LOVE IS TO LISTEN..................PAUL TILLICH.................

2 comments:

  1. Let me encourage you. I like the work you are producing. All the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you David for those encouraging words...

    ReplyDelete